Two excellent matches as the finalists in the Club Championship and the RAB trophy battled hard for honours.
In a repeat of last years final Ben Welton beat David Barber in an engrossing and hard-fought four-setter, to retain the title of Club Champion. A good crowd were at the club to watch some some excellent squash featuring long, tight and accurate rallies by the club’s top players, both of who have previously had their hands on the trophy – David umpteen times. Ben took the first game, but a lapse in concentration saw David level up at one all before Ben regained the initiative and took each of the third and fourth games 15/7. It was a match of high standard, enjoyed by all the spectators.
Ben Welton beat David Barber 15/6, 9/15, 15/7, 15/7
In the RAB, a tournament for members who have not previously won a major club tournament, Jonathan Robinson got off to a flying start taking the first two games with his accurate drop shots catching out Mark Jackson. But Mark clawed his way back to take the initiative and level at four games all. With both players tiring Jonathan hung on to clinch the match 16/14 in the fifth.
Jonathan Robinson beat Mark Jackson 15/7, 15-7, 10/15, 10/15, 16/14
Sadly there were not enough entrants to run either the Ladies or the Junior championships. Better turn-out next year…?
A busy night at the club as the tournaments got underway.
Current state of the draws here: ClubChamps after 1st round 2018
Some good matches coming up to determine the semi finalists:
- Russ Lilliebridge v Ben Welton
- Mark Jackson v Alistair Pease or Ben Cook
- Gary Major v Max Castaldi
- Mark Pearson v Dave Barber or Steve Couper
RAB 2018 semifinal stage
Matches to come:
- Oliver Hayton v Steve Couper or Mark Jackson
- Ian Garnett v Jonathan Robinson
As Gary Player said ““The harder I practice, the luckier I get” …
This year the annual club tournaments will be held after Easter.
The Club Championship and the RA Bruce Lockhart competition (the RAB) will start on the evening of Tuesday April 10th with follow-up rounds scheduled for Thursday Friday and Saturday as required (depending on the number of entries and players’ availability. The final will be held on Sunday 15th around 1830.
The first round of the ladies competition will be on Monday 9th with follow up matches during the week and the final on Sunday 15th.
Entry fee for each competition is £3.00 via the classes and events section of the booking system.
Entry to the club championship open to all members.
Entry to the RAB open to all members who have not won previously a full club tournament (timed handicaps do not count).
Ladies comp is open to all female members
Trophies for all winners.
If there is sufficient demand, a plate competition will be staged for first round losers.
Friday night fun tournament coming up on 23rd February. Everyone invited to enter. Includes plate competition and nibbles and prizes for winners. Drinks available. Starts 1830
Entry fee £3.00, advance entry via classes/events section of the website.
Replaces club night
TIMED HANDICAP TOURNAMENT RULES
- Games are played American scoring (a point is scored regardless of who served)
- Each game lasts 10 minutes
- Games start and finish when the whistle blows
- The winner is the player with the highest score when the whistle blows
- In the event of scores being even, one sudden-death rally is played to determine the winner
- The server does not need to wait for the opponent to be ready when serving
- The marker may deduct penalty points for time wasting
- Starting scores adjusted so that the player with the highest handicap starts from zero.